This recipe for turkey sausage and peppers is simple yet complex, filling yet healthy, and overall just plain delicious! Fresh veggies from the garden or produce section work best, but there is nothing wrong with some frozen peppers and a can of rotel style tomatoes if you don’t have fresh on hand.
This Recipe is: Dairy Free, Egg Free
Cuisine Type: Italian
- ½ lb – 1 lb italian style turkey sausage (sliced and cooked)
- 1 orange bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 med onion (sliced)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup tomatoes (chopped)
- ¼ cup green chilies (can substitute 1 can rotel tomatoes with chilies for fresh if necessary)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook Italian turkey sausage over medium-high heat in skillet. Slice into 1/4” rounds. (Turkey is done when there is no pink and internal temperature should reach 165 degrees) Remove from skill, set aside.
- Add olive oil into pan you cooked sausage in. Add bell peppers and onion. Saute over medium-high heat until veggies are soft (5-7 mins). If you prefer crunchy veggies, decrease cook time. Add in tomatoes, green chilies, Italian seasoning, oregano, and garlic powder. Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until most liquid has dissipated (5-10 mins). Taste, add salt and pepper to taste if necessary. Remove from heat and serve over brown rice.