Nothing beats a down-home traditional deviled egg. They always remind me of large dinners with the entire extended family at Easter! This traditional deviled egg recipe is simple to follow, and really allows for you to play with the ingredients if you so desire. Bon appétit!
This Recipe is: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
Cuisine Type: French
- 6 large eggs
- 2-4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp yellow mustard (or dijon)
- 1 tsp pig tickle
- ½ tsp ground black pepper (or more if you like pepper)
- 1 tsp white sugar
- smoked paprika
- Add eggs in a single layer to a pot. Cover eggs with water (at least 1 ½ inches of water covering eggs) Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and boil for one minute. Remove pot from heat and cover with lid. Leave alone, covered, for a full 14 minutes! After the time has passed, remove eggs from pot (careful as water is still hot), and cool the eggs by running cold water over them.
- Carefully crack the shells and peel all eggs. It may help to peel under running water to keep shell pieces off the eggs. After all eggs are peeled, rinse, dry, then slice each egg length wise.
- Scoop out all yolks into a bowl. Place the cooked egg whites onto a serving platter. Crumble egg yolks together with a fork. Add 2 tbsp mayonnaise along with all of the vinegar, mustard, pig tickle, pepper, and sugar to the egg yolks. Mix well. Assess the yolk mixture consistency. If too dry, add more mayonnaise until you reach desired consistency. Taste the mixture. Add more spices as needed.
- With a spoon, evenly refill all of the egg whites with the yolk mixture. Alternatively, you can use a piping bag. Or, for even more fun, add the yolk mixture to a zip lock bag, cut one corner of the bag off with scissors, and use the zip-lock bag as a piping bag! Disperse all of the yolk mixture evenly among all of the egg whites.
- Sprinkle smoked paprika over the eggs (alternately, try sprinkling chipotle powder instead of paprika!) Enjoy!