Do you have a serious hankering for some gumbo but have never made a rue or simply don’t have the time?? Here is the answer…a cheater’s gumbo….in the crock pot…aka – crock pot gumbo. Maybe it’s not totally authentic…but I won’t tell if you don’t!
6 hr 20 min
Cuisine Type: American
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approx 4-6) (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 pound smoked sausage (sliced into thin rounds)
- 1 pound large peeled, deveined uncooked shrimp
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 large green bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 stalks celery (chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley (optional, or substitute 1 tsp dry parsley)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz) (rotel)
- 3 toes garlic (garlic press or chopped)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp creole seasoning
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1-2 tbsp Liquid Crab Boil (optional again if you have it)
Chop veggies (onion, bell pepper, celery, and parsley if using). If you want your veggies to have a little “crispness” to them in your final product, add them to your crock pot now. If you are like me and like them to be more tender, sauté the veggies in 3 tbsp of butter until soft, then add to your slow cooker.
Slice sausage and add to crock pot. Cut chicken into bite sized chunks and add to crock pot raw. Add diced tomatoes, garlic, creole seasoning, thyme, oregano, crab boil, and chicken broth to crock pot. Mix well, and set to low. Cook 6-8 hours.
Add uncooked shrimp 30 mins to 1 hour before serving.
Serve over white rice, or if you are feeling adventurous serve over potato salad! (No I am not crazy…trust me on this one) If you like your gumbo to be a little thicker with some additional flavor add some gumbo file to your bowl.