15 bean soup in the crock pot is an easy dinner that is sure to satisfy everyone. Plus, you can use pork, beef, sausage, or what ever other meat you want. We prefer beef soup bones or ham hocks in ours! Pick up a bag of 15 bean soup mix, get ’em soaking, and prepare yourself for the best crock pot 15 bean soup recipe there is.
Servings: 6 servings
Meal Type:Main Course
Cuisine Type: Mexican
- The very first step is to open the bag of beans, locate the little “seasoning packet”, and immediately discard it. Burn it, trash it, dump it down the sink…it doesn’t matter as long as you get rid of it! MSG and preservatives galore that are unnecessary!
- Place beans in a colander, sort impurities out, and rinse thoroughly. Add beans to a large pot, cover with water, and soak at least 8 hours (preferably overnight).
- The next morning, drain beans. Add soup bones to the crock pot. Dump beans over top. Add all spices to beans. Pour broth over everything. Mix thoroughly and cook on low for 6-8 hours. (tip- I like to set slow cooker on high for the first hour to get the temp up, then cook the rest of the time on low).
- An hour before you are ready to serve, add in tomatoes and green chilies. Make sure you DO NOT ADD tomatoes or green chilies at the beginning. The acidity found in the tomatoes and green chilies can cause your beans to not cook correctly and remain tough.
- Soup is ready when beans are tender and any meat on your soup bones are falling apart. Shred meat, remove bones, and serve.