Breakfast casserole with hash browns is an excellent meal anytime of day! I honestly think that we have had this for more dinners than we have for actual breakfast. The other awesome thing about this breakfast casserole is the fact that you can prepare it the night before, stick it in the fridge, and pull it out the next morning ready to cook! Delicious comfort food at its’ best!
1 hr 25 min
Meal Type:Main Course
Cuisine Type: American
1 lb ground turkey
1 small onion (chopped, or half med-lg onion)
2 cups frozen hash browns
¼ cup milk
7 slices American cheese
2 tbsp breakfast sausage seasoning
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease 8×8 baking dish. Add hash browns to the dish, evenly across the bottom. (use more or less hash browns to your liking. Just ensure the bottom is completely covered in an even layer)
- Add ground turkey, onion, and sausage seasoning to skillet over med to med-high heat. Cook thoroughly until turkey is done, onions are soft, and there is no pink. (ground poultry should be cooked to 165 degrees) Drain and set aside.
- Whisk together egg, milk, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a separate bowl. Pour mixture directly over the top of hash browns in the baking dish.
- Place 4 slices of cheese, evenly spaced, over the top of the eggs and hash browns. Layer sausage and onion mixture evenly over the cheese. Tear remaining 3 pieces of cheese in half and layer evenly over everything.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook in preheated oven for 60 mins. Remove from oven, remove foil, and cook for additional 10 mins. Eggs should be set up after this cook time and a knife stuck into the middle should come out clean. Cook additional 5-10 minutes if necessary.
TIP – You do not have to use turkey, but it is delicious! You can also use plain ground burger or pork with sausage seasoning. Or, if you want to be boring, you can use a pre-seasoned sausage.