Gravy can be a daunting task for many, but this easy gravy recipe is simple to follow and absolutely delicious. It may take a couple of times to obtain the perfect consistency and taste, but this is a great starting point. We eat this style of gravy on almost everything!
This Recipe is: Dairy Free, Egg Free
Cuisine Type: American
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 beef bullion cubes (or 1 tbsp beef granules)
- 1 chicken bullion cube (or 2 tsp chicken granules)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 5 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp rubbed sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ground black pepper and salt to taste
- Add water and bullion to a pot. Bring to a boil until bullion dissolves. Remove from heat. (you can also just use equal parts chicken and beef stock/broth)
- Melt butter over medium heat in separate pot. Whisk flour into butter. Continue whisking over medium heat for approximately 1-2 minutes, or until flour and butter is slightly brown (the mixture will bubble while cooking).
- Slowly add the broth to the flour and butter mixture, constantly whisking. Continue adding and whisking until all the broth is added. Bring to a slow boil. Flavor with rubbed sage, garlic powder, and pepper. Taste. Adjust spices accordingly and enjoy!
- If gravy is too thin, mix a 2:1 ratio of water and flour together (a shaker cup or even Tupperware with a good lid works great) and slowly add some of the mixture to the gravy until desired consistency. If gravy is too thick, add additional broth or water. Never add straight flour to your gravy to thicken it, as it will cause chunks!