No one can resist a perfectly cooked, melt-in-your-mouth, prime rib. This prime rib roast recipe is simple yet delicious, and is truly easy to follow. Impress your guests this year and cook a prime rib with this easy to follow recipe.
1.5 - 2 hr
Up to 2 hr 10 min
This Recipe is: Dairy Free, Egg Free, Gluten Free
Cuisine Type: American
- 1 rib roast (3-7 rib, 5-9 pounds; bones cut away and tied back on with butcher string)
- 2-4 tbsp roast rub
- 1/8-1/2 cup olive oil
- Remove roast from refrigerator at least 2 hours before cooking. (The roast should be very close to room temperature before cooking)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- If your butcher hasn’t already done so, cut the bones away from the roast and tie them back on to the roast with butchers twine. This will make it much easier to carve the roast, while still allowing you to stand the roast on the rib bones while cooking.
- Combine equal parts roast rub and olive oil in separate bowl. Mixture should be very pliable and easy to apply. Rub liberally on all sides of the roast.
- Place roast in preheated oven (or smoker/grill) Cook 15 mins. Reduce heat to 325 degrees. Continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 125-130 for rare or 135-145 for med rare. Cook time varies greatly, so a high quality meat thermometer is extremely important. Approximate cook times are 13-15 mins/lb for rare and 15-17 mins/lb for med rare.
TIP – Again, I cannot stress enough how important a good meat thermometer is!!! Trust me…nothing is worse than an over-cooked $70+ hunk of meat! When cooked to your specifications, remove from the heat source and let rest for at least 15 mins before slicing.