Recipe by High Plains Spice Company
Perfect for a cold weather get-together, this delicious concoction can easily be cut in half or doubled to suit the number of people you happen to be serving.
Meal Type:Alcoholic Beverage
1 cup sugar (can substitute vanilla bean sugar or cinnamon sugar)
1 cup water
3 cardamom pods
1 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
12 ounces sweet bourbon (or whiskey)
1 orange, cut into 8 wedges
8 maraschino cherries
4 cinnamon sticks
1.Place first five ingredients into a saucepan and simmer over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil then cover and remove from heat. Allow the mixture to steep for 30 minutes. Strain the spices from the simple syrup.
3. Allow the mixture to cool completely before placing in the fridge for an hour to chill.
4. Divide an orange wedge and two cherries into each four glasses and muddle together.
5. Place the chilled syrup, bourbon and ice into a large shaker and shake until well combined.
6. Divide the mixture into each glass and top with an extra orange wedge, squeezing the wedge before dropping into the glass.
7. Garnish each glass with a cinnamon stick, if using and serve.